Southington Public Schools
Hear from Kari Peschel-Luise about the teaching family at Southington Public Schools.
Meet Kari Peschel-Luise
It was a massive commitment for my family to move to the United States from overseas. Our number one priority was to figure out which city to move to in Connecticut based on the public education that would be provided to our children. Based on the location accessibility, community amenities and lifestyle, Southington was clearly the winner. To now be part of the teaching family, who inspired, educated and graduated all three of our children, is not only a testament of our decision to live in Southington, but also my conviction to Southington Public School’s quality of education and vision.
- 10th Grade PLTW Digital Electronics
- 2019 Teacher of the Year, Southington Public Schools
- 2018 Expo Fest Skills 21 Outstanding Team Projects 1st and 2nd Place
- 2018 Southington Board of Education Recognition for Architecture Excellence and Student Mentorship
- 2018 Home Builders and Remodelers Association of Central Connecticut Inc, Student/Teacher Awards for Architectural Design Excellence and Green Architecture
- 20th Annual Connecticut Educators Computer Association K-12 Education Technology Exposition Selection
- 2017 Home Builders and Remodelers Association of Central Connecticut Inc. StudentTeacher Awards Architectural Design Excellence
- 2016 Southington Education Grant for Architectural Columns in History
- 2014 - 17 Connecticut State Department of Education Career & Technical Education #1 Ranked Connecticut Secondary School Pre-Engineering Technology
- Diplom-Ingenieur/USA, Senatsverwaltung für Wissenschaft, Forshung und Kultur, Berlin, Germany
- Master’s Degree in Environmental Design - Architecture, The University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology - Developmental/Environmental Psychology, The University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Teacher Certification Program
Why I Teach
Before my teaching career, I practiced architecture in Canada and Germany prior to immigrating to the United States in 2008. Working abroad as an architect and engineer, I observed tremendous disparities between the skills students attained during their education and the readiness required in the work field.
I believe identifying the unique characteristics of each and every student and empowering them to reach their individual goals is the foundation to teaching and why I essentially became a teacher. Since becoming an Engineering, Architecture and Technology Education teacher, closing the gap between students' education skills and architecture and engineering career requirements has been my objective. Weaving foundational knowledge, authentic education strategies, and professional experiences with compassionate rigor identifies my personal teaching style to positively engage and influence students.
Teachers do not exclusively impart knowledge to students, they empower students with the freedom of personal awareness and destiny. My job is to awaken this empowerment; my joy is to witness each and every success!
Southington by the numbers
New Teacher Starting Salary